Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Up and At 'Em and Souper Serious

 Once I was able to move about again, I made the most of my remaining days in Mainz. A few moments stand out. 

I'm not sure of the chronology of these things, but shortly after I could resume normal activity, we took a cruise with the West German army along the Rhine, at least a short ways. It's clear that this is after my infection, because the photo below shows me with a bandage. From my expression, it looks like I was still on the mopey side. Not to worry, as I was over that several years later.

I recall we stopped around Rudesheim, because we took the cable car ride to the Niederwald Denkmal, which commemorates German unification. It's 38 meters tall (nearly 125 ft). I don't have a photo of that any longer. Here's one by Karl Heinz Walter:


Beyond that I don't recall much other than not leaving Funda's side. Here's Mr. Mopey:


I have a better recollection that the class of German students graduated from the Neutorschule, and we attended the brief ceremony. Some of the students at that point went into trades training, others went on to a gymnasium (upper level) high school, like Funda and Rudiger did, and still others found jobs, presumably. Here are a few photos from that ceremony and from a lunch a few of us went to afterwards. 


Claudia's mother, I think, Claudia and Thorsten at the grad ceremony.


German students doing a reading.


From left: Birgit, Chris, and Andres


Ann and Diana at lunch. I guess the mood stayed somber. Most of us realized we would have to go home soon.


Chris has always taken his soup seriously. 

Besides graduation, I remember going to a party at the house of a student who planned to be in the exchange for 1983. I don't remember her name. 

Next time: Johannisnacht and flying home.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Entry! Reunion in 2007

 Yes, I am a fan of European travel. Trouble is, for me and many others, it's much more complicated as we get older and as the world has...