Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Johannisfest or Johannisnacht

 Our time in Mainz (did I say this already?) was a bit anti-climactic after Berlin and, for me, after my infection. We did a few other things that I remember, but I'm not sure in which order. We went to a Crackers show...somewhere. Wiesbaden? I remember we took a train to get there. I didn't know where we were going. It was a very fun show. Just recently I found the CD on Amazon, and I see they're playing a show next Month in Wiesbaden, however we will be elsewhere in Germany at that point. 


Note the guitar body is in the shape of the former West Germany. 

The other highlight was our night at the Johannisfest or Nacht or something like that. There was much confusion about what the evening is/was called and just which 'Johannis' they were celebrating. Some of us understandably decided it must be in honor of Johannis Gutenberg, who perfected movable type in the process of printing. Since we didn't have the internet then, we couldn't Google it to learn that it's held on the feast of St. John, but that it also commemorates Gutenberg. Hell, I'm still confused. Anyway, I remember riding a ride or two, some beer (I still have the mug from the evening), and maybe some food? That part is fuzzy, probably because of the beer.


Diana, Rudiger's head, Andres, Michael (peeking through) and Ann.


Streets of Mainz during Johannisnacht, 1982.

It seems to me that we left almost immediately after the festival. We did have another potluck dinner, which I will share some memories next post.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Entry! Reunion in 2007

 Yes, I am a fan of European travel. Trouble is, for me and many others, it's much more complicated as we get older and as the world has...